mato metal sherman suspension mod

mato metal sherman suspension mod

Postby septon » Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:25 pm

i got a set of the metal sherman suspension at swindon meet and after a closer inspection at home i have come to the conclusion thay are very good but the stock springs are a bit to hard and way out of scale so i have fitted tamiya sherman hvss springs to them now thay work sweet and look bang on

first remove the back of the bogey
then strip down the bogey
then grind out the center spring spacer to make room for the tam unit
now strip down you tam hvss springs
glue the hvss outer case in to the vvss bogey
now to cut down the tam coil spring
cut one coil out of each end of the tam spring (2 per bogey)
now put the rest of the hvss unit in place
now rebuild the the vvss bogey
replace the back
heres the to bogey types next to each other

the sherman now run sweet
hope this helps

paul
septon
General

Re: mato metal sherman suspension mod

Postby FV432 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:45 pm

Brilliant paul looks way more realistic with the tammie springs on-board :D :D :D :D :D
you talk the talk..but do you walk the walk?
FV432
Field Marshal

Postby MarkofZollo » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:02 pm

Good work Paul, I have been pondering similar last couple days. What parts, from jr-rc for example, would I have to order to do this? Is it just the 'H' bag?
It is a shame the rubber tyres are not as detailed as original Mato ones, and that originals dont fit metal wheels either.
MarkofZollo
Major General

Postby septon » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:08 pm

hi you will need the H bag and 2 C parts

paul
septon
General

Postby septon » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:32 pm

opps ment 3 c parts
septon
General

Postby MarkofZollo » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:14 am

Lol ta for info, does anyone have any of these parts not in use and available? I may try the 'wanted' section soon.
MarkofZollo
Major General

Postby fleshpedler » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:50 pm

Looks like the way forward Paul , ok mate then that,s what I,ll shall be doing when the parts arrive :D ........
Fleshy..............
fleshpedler
Field Marshal

Postby sassgrunt » Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:35 am

Paul, thank you very much for your tutorial. I followed it nearly to the letter to improve my set. Something I did a little differently was to superglue an M3 screw into the end of each conical plastic piece (I had to glue it, because the existing hole was too large to grab the screw threads). The rounded head of the screw provides a more positive fit into the recessed area of the center pivot-piece. I don't know if this is actually needed, but it seems to be a better fit of the parts.

I am working on a way to mount these to a Tamiya hull. Has anyone come up with a good method so far? -Mike
sassgrunt
Lance corporal

Postby FV432 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:17 am

Hi Mike
Nigel had a good idea at the swindon meet to grind the rear part that slots to the hull off and use nuts and bolts from inside to screw onto the hull?

hopefully he will enlighten us further?

Rob
you talk the talk..but do you walk the walk?
FV432
Field Marshal

Postby sassgrunt » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:28 pm

Hi Rob.

To fit these units to a Tamiya hull, I am trying to do it this way, (and I'm sorry I don't know how to post pictures, but I can describe it). I put the square Mato mounting plate over the back of the bogie unit, and draw a mark around everything that goes into the Mato hull. I put the back plate in a vise (I clamp on the part that I've marked that I am going to cut away), and use a hacksaw to cut it off. This leaves an enlongated hole in the back of the plate, and a "step" of metal around the hole.

In the "H" parts bag that has the aluminum tubes and springs, there are also two small aluminum plates that fit on the inside of the hull, and act as a brace to screw the rear idlers onto. If you file the sides of the top of these plates just a little bit, they will fit right into tapered hole in the back plate. I am using JB Weld to glue them into position and prevent them from shifting, but I suppose any superglue would work the same. You will have to drill two corresponding holes through the hull, but now you can use M3 screws to attach the bogie, and the heads of the screws don't protrude into the hull enough to interfere with the gearboxes.

The only other thing needed is to remove a little of the bottom ridge of the square mounting plate - the Mato hull has a recess for it to fit into, but the Tamiya hull does not. I think it's easier to remove the interfering part of the ridge than to cut a recess for it into the Tamioya hull.

For me, using a single plate with two holes is probably more precise than if I were to try and affix two separate nuts into the back of each bogie plate - at least this way I know that the holes are standard, and any bogie can fit any position on the hull. Unfortunately, there are only two of these plates in each "H" parts bag, so I am casting about for a suitable substitute as well. -Mike
sassgrunt
Lance corporal

Next

Return to Sherman