Heng Long Recoil Mod

Heng Long Recoil Mod

Postby Tankbear » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:15 pm

Hi guys, I was following these instructions
http://www.rccommand.com/guides/hlrecoilmod.php
To modify the HL recoil unit so fires correct way and auto return action.

Problem I had was the instruction mentions removing stop ends and opening slot to allow for the extra travel of the slug and barrel in the unit. Now I did this but I don’t understand where the extra travel comes from. I’m still getting about 10mm of travel the same as before.

Anyone else done this mod who can comment about the travel.

Ian.
Tankbear
Field Marshal

Re: Heng Long Recoil Mod

Postby 971wright » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:34 pm

Hi Ian. lucky you I did the very first one,
O.K. this is how it works,the reason the stops are removed and the slot extented, is to allow the gears to disengage,Yhe motor runs backwards compared to normal,so when the motor is engaged it moves the gun forward just a little(almost zero)the gears disengage and the barrel is pulled back with the spring,the motor then moves the barrel forward till it hits the microswitch(you will have to fit one can be bought from maplins) and stops.
See link here to my post on RCU it should help if you need more info let me know.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_80453 ... tm#8048837
regards pete
971wright
Field Marshal

Postby Tankbear » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:08 pm

Cheers Pete,

That makes sense now, need to remove for the gear to disengage.

Ian.
Tankbear
Field Marshal

Postby mustclime » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:52 pm

LOL, I can chop up lower hulls to move suspension mounting points for my e50 build, spend more than a week getting my zimmerit "just right" on my king tiger and there is not way I would do this......The minute you get into micro switches and resisters,the brain just packs it in..... :\
mustclime
Major

Postby Tankbear » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:29 pm

Mustclime

It isn’t anyway as bad as cutting up the hull to do the e50 conversion honestly. The resistor simply goes on one wire and same with the micro switch it breaks one wire. No soldering onto a circuit board where everything is smaller than a half a grain of rice. Probably hardest thing is the wiring but even that is you start with two wires to the recoil you switch these round so motor goes opposite way plus add another cable to the battery negative.

Plus if you get stuck plenty of people can help with advice.
Tankbear
Field Marshal

Postby mustclime » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:51 pm

When comes to wireing I would need a step by step for dummies...I could just see spending all this time fixing the recoil unit , hooking everything up only to watch the rx18 burst into flame..... :\
mustclime
Major

Postby Gra » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:47 pm

Hi Tankbear
When I did my mod, with the extra travel I had to add extra teeth to the main 2tooth cog as they wouldnt pick up the Recoil plug to bring it back.

Will try and find some pics

Gra :~
Gra
sergeant major

Postby Tankbear » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:49 pm

Cheers Gra.

I had thought about the teeth. I did remove the teeth off the slug and replaced with from the airsoft I had removed which meant it went from 2 teeth to 4 teeth. But didn't make any difference as the cog still only had 2 teeth didn't push any further.

Did think about adding more teeth to the cog but ran out of time.

Ian.
Tankbear
Field Marshal

Postby Tankbear » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:00 pm

>:< >:<

why, why, why doesn't it work.

Can get it all running connecting turret wires directly to a battery but when connected to the RX18 nothing :\

All I can think is the voltage from rx18 is about 6.7v and direct off battery is more maybe not enough power?
Tankbear
Field Marshal

Postby Tankbear » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:40 pm

I was tired last night so hopefully it was just me missing the obvious.

I also added a diode between the fire wire and sound/track twitch trigger as removed the microswitch but noticed when it should of been firing/recoiling the flash LED was flickering slightly and no fire noise so suspect that is effecting it power back feeding down other wires or something when all plugged in.
Tankbear
Field Marshal

Next

Return to Tips & Tricks